Orthodontics is one of the branches of dentistry that focuses on the alignment of teeth and jaws. While braces are a traditional method for teeth alignment, a new procedure is gaining popularity among teenagers and young adults known as Invisalign.
This procedure pushes the teeth using clear aligners hence the name Invisalign. While this procedure is relatively new compared to braces, it is natural to have doubts regarding the efficiency and safety of this method.
So if you’ve been wondering what to know about Invisalign, you should know that before you proceed with this method of teeth alignment, you should go through a few FAQs regarding Invisalign and what questions you need to ask your dentist about Invisalign.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign are custom-made clear aligners designed by making a mold of the teeth and taking X-rays. These aligners then pull your teeth together over a span of time to give you perfectly aligned teeth and shape your jaws.
Compared to its alternatives like braces and brackets, Invisalign snugs tightly over your teeth, making it much less noticeable.
How Effective is Invisalign?
Recent studies have shown that Invisalign is as effective as other traditional methods like braces and brackets. Still, the effectiveness of Invisalign may vary based on teeth arch. Even with its discreetness, the clear aligners at times have proven to be better than braces for correcting mild to moderate alignment issues.
Invisalign, which was made after 2010, has better force delivery on the wearer’s teeth, which helps in reducing the overall time frame for the complete procedure. For it to be completely effective, the wearer also has to make sure that they wear the aligners most of the time and only remove them for consumption of meals or beverages.
How Invisalign treatment works
This process begins with consulting a doctor who is a trained professional in the field of Invisalign. Then the dentist makes a few X-ray copies and a mold of your teeth, which will be used to make a blueprint for the treatment plan. The plan will mention the approximate duration of the procedure. Once you approve the plan, the doctor will make the custom aligners.
What types of dental issues can Invisalign correct?
Invisalign can be used to correct most alignment issues. Any alignment issue that doesn’t require heavy dental work can be managed with Invisalign. The most common issues that can be treated are:
- Teeth gaps
- Crowded teeth
- Crooked teeth
Invisalign is also mostly suggested for teens or young adults as their teeth are still adjusting to changes.
Advantages of Invisalign
Both braces and Invisalign have proven to be efficient in providing a set of healthy, aligned teeth with a beautiful smile. Still, Invisalign has an upper hand in terms of convenience and other factors compared to braces.
- You don’t have to change your diet for the course of treatment as Invisalign is removable, so you don’t have to give up on meals you love.
- The frequency of visits to the dentist is also less compared to braces as aligners don’t depend on steel or rubberbands that require constant care from your dentist.
- They won’t hold you back from playing high-impact sports.
- Due to the factor that it can be easily removed, cleaning and oral hygiene are much easier when compared to braces and you don’t have to work around wires or brackets.
Disadvantages of Invisalign:
- It’s only effective on teeth that require less movement and is not a viable option for someone who needs a lot of dental work or someone with bridgework.
- To get maximum effectiveness of Invisalign, the wearer has to comply with extreme wearing conditions, a minimum of 22-23 hours a day the aligner has to be worn and only removed while consuming food.
- Even though there are no food limitations, the pressure from the braces might create slight tooth soreness, making you rethink some food choices.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
Invisalign is mostly suitable for teenagers and young adults as their teeth are still adjusting to changes and are easier to align. Someone who does not require a lot of dental work and does not have bridgework can be an ideal candidate as well. Even if you fall under this category, there are still some things a patient has to prepare themself for the procedure:
- Wearing Invisalign is very easy, but the person has to wear them for an extended period of time.
- Invisalign is comparatively more expensive than its alternatives, so the wearer has to be more responsible enough to take care of them.
How Long are Invisalign Treatments?
The duration of the treatment depends upon the misalignment. If you are facing underbite, overbite, or crowded teeth, such cases requires a time frame of 1-2 years. If you want only a few of your teeth aligned, then the complete procedure can be done under a year. The efficiency of the procedure also depends on the wearers’ consistency in wearing the aligners. If you end up taking out the aligners or do not commit to 22-23 hours on time, then you won’t receive the optimum result.
Should I get Invisalign?
Invisalign will help you with aligned teeth and a more functional bite. A straight set of teeth is easier to clean and follow good oral hygiene, but before you proceed with Invisalign we have jotted down a few questions you should ask yourself before you get Invisalign.
- Can you afford it: compared to its alternatives, Invisalign can be a little more expensive.
- Can you take care of it: Even though they are sturdy and durable, there is a chance of breaking them if you are not careful with them. The transparency feature also makes it hard to find if you misplace them
- Can you commit to wearing them for long durations: for Invisalign to be efficient, they have to be worn for 22-23 hours a day. So are you disciplined enough to follow these demands?
Why Smiles Orthodontics?
Your service of care will be provided by one of our amazing Smile Coaches and you will receive the most affordable and efficient treatment option that fits your smile.
At Smiles Orthodontics, your smile is our top priority and we will ensure that you know how to maintain your results, for life!
We have complete transparency with our pricing and you don’t have to worry about finance, we will directly bill your insurance provider for a hassle-free experience.
For more details and to book a consultation, visit Smiles Orthodontics.